Thursday, July 23, 2015

June 23, 2015


            The energy on board today was celebratory; people seemed bonded over the close encounter from yesterday.
            We went aground again today, mostly viewing the plant life in the area.  It is amazing how complex the flora is, all while staying below an inch in height.  Even tiny willow trees, shorter than the tip of my pinky.  Purple saxifrage was blossoming everywhere.

 
            The big event for today was the "polar plunge" -- swimming, if you could call it that, in the arctic ocean.  I jumped in from the side of a zodiac and time stopped.  I didn't want to move because every twitch moved my body further through the freezing water.  I allowed myself to float to the surface; I'm sure it only took a few seconds, but it felt like an eternity.  People pulled me back on board as I flopped my way up, gasping, all sense of dignity or grace blown away by the intensity of the cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment